Tuesday, October 14, 2008

To Respond With Love

When I began taking care of Mom I congratulated myself on my ability to hold my tongue when she snipped at me. I felt quite noble when her occasional snide comments fell into a pool of my determined silence. However, the Lord made it clear to me that if I am to follow His example, some action must be taken. A reply that expresses understanding of Mom's frustration or my arms going around her for a hug are examples of loving responses.

My mother, regardless of the state of her ability to remember, reads my moods quite accurately. She is well aware that my silences are not loving. Today my prayer is for the ability to respond in love toward Mom even when she is grouchy with me.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is so good. Such an excellent reminder for us all. I will join you in praying this today, my blessed aunt. And thank you, as always, for posting just what the Lord has laid before you for the benefit, growth, and encouragement of us all.

    We love you - Melody

    ReplyDelete