Thursday, March 3, 2016

Yet Will I Trust in Him

This inspiring graphic is from my friend Abby over at Little Birdie Blessings. She has a wonderful ministry of encouragement; pay her a visit!
My Alzheimer's mom is very fond of me when I place a warmed blanket over her, deliver a savory meal, or bring her a piece of her favorite fudge.  She expresses gratitude and approval with thanks and compliments about what a good daughter I am and how well I take care of her.  But when I must guide her through the bathing process, encourage her to swallow pills, or help her prepare for bed, she does not like me at all, and tells me exactly what she thinks of me. Her opinion of the daughter with whom she has had the misfortune to be inflicted is low at such times. 

This morning I brought a warm breakfast and hot coffee to Mom, and as she praised my character and abilities I realized this is exactly how I treat the Lord! When my circumstances are pleasing to me, I praise His Name, but when times get hard, as they have seemed for me of late, I bow my head but keep my silence.

I know better.  We are taught to praise Him in all things...ALL things.  And the reason we do this is that His character does not change! Although Mom often has ample reason to withhold her approval of me (she noticed long ago that I am far from perfect and my moods are mercurial), we serve a God who does not change. He is just as powerful and holy when our circumstances are awful as He is when everything is beautiful. We are to find our rest in Him, regardless of the difficulties we face, because unlike fallible human caregivers, His good intentions toward us do not fade, His love does not waver, and He always has a good and holy purpose for us even in the midst of things the enemy means for our harm. God's power is such that He can bring blessings from the most potent of sorrows. Even in the midst of tragedy, if we look for His provision and deliverance, we will eventually come to see and understand how He brought us through. 

As we begin to praise our Lord, He brings remembrance of the ways He has provided for us in the past, and we are encouraged in hope and faith that He will bring us through the challenges we are facing today.  Praise His Name! 




8 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Linda! Mom is the same way with me. It is sobering to realize that I often am like that with God. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Alzheimer's is sometimes called aging in reverse, and it is a childish perspective to receive only pleasant things with grace. So my prayer is, Lord, let me grow up in You! How can I internalize the grace of a praise response in good times and bad...that's what I'm working on. Melanie, thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, yes! That was a zinger of an analogy. It stung because it is so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes, but as Mama says, "It ain't easy, Breezy!" I am inclined to pull my emotions in like a turtle pulls into his shell and to go silent toward the Lord until things get better. And so I rob myself of the comfort He would surely provide--again, Lord forgive me! Praying to do better. Thanks, Vee.

      Delete
  3. So happy the graphic fit well with your post today Linda. Like Vee said, that was a zinger of an analogy. Praying for you, thanks for sharing here on your blog. I know it is blessing so many. ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have such a blessed way of posting the encouraging words we need just at the time we need them! Thanks so much, Abby.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry you have been having a hard time, Linda. This was a perfect analogy and so true! I pray the Lord will encourage you and strengthen you by His grace to face each day in the knowledge of His presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Georgene--I hope you are feeling stronger...hugs and prayers your way.

      Delete