Monday, March 13, 2017

Joys in the Midst of Sorrow

Sweet consolations: Middle, l to r: freshly baked apple pie,our 1-year-old granddaughter with her doll and new cowgirl hat, and the sunset backlighting some silk apple blossom stems.  
We're experiencing a cold snap here in Kansas, all the more insulting because it follows one of the warmest Februarys on record for us. We have basked in balmy temperatures in the mid-seventies for too many weeks to feel content with this morning's windchill, which was in the low twenties.  I hope my lilac bush doesn't give up on the early bloom it was obviously planning before today's frigid dawn.

I am rereading Laura Ingalls Wilder's The Long Winter.  I've often thought that in the hands of any other writer, an account of a family nearly starving to death would  have resulted in a story not fit for children. But Laura's focus on love and courage allows us to partake of the comforts to which her family clung when hope of relief grew dim. Her description of a meal of hot tea and coarse brown bread is remarkable not so much because she makes us believe they liked such fare, but because we are thoroughly convinced they were grateful for it.

I am reminded again of my new favorite Bible verse, Psalm 94:19. I can't decide which version I like best for this verse, so here it is in three of my favorites:
When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.  (NIV)
When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul.  (ESV)
In the multitude of my anxieties within me,Your comforts delight my soul.(NKJV)
Whether we are enduring a long winter, or a long goodbye because of a loved one's Alzheimer's disease, there are so many things to be thankful for, even in the midst of our suffering.  I guess another way to convey this is in the old adage to count your blessings.  I only know that during this sorrow of seeing my mom fade day by day that the consolations the Lord provides are sweet to my soul.

The joys God provides in the midst of our sorrows remind us that He is present with us, and that we are loved.

8 comments:

  1. You are so right about the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and, until reading what you had to say about it, I had never given it any thought. Fascinating observation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vee! I think I had to read it during a time of albeit mild-by-comparison suffering of my own in order to read between the lines as I've done here. Prayers for you today during the "long winter" challenges you face.

      Delete
  2. What an encouraging and lovely post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I appreciate this comment so much.

      Delete
  3. Visiting form Vee's blog.
    My mother-in-law had Alzheimers for 9 years. It can be both a burden and a blessing. One beautiful thing happened 2 weeks before she passed away. For a couple of years she had been non communicative, but for a few hours on one visit she "woke up" and spoke and sang songs and even recognized us! A small miracle and perhaps her way of saying good bye. We tresure that memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful miracle your family experienced. I find this encouraging and inspiring!

      Delete
  4. I love this book, and I love how you have connected it to today.

    ReplyDelete