Wednesday, March 13, 2019

May Our Strength Equal Our Days


This lesser known verse of How Firm a Foundation holds special promise for every condition of life.  Here are three Scriptures the lyricist may have used to compose this verse:

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 
I can do all this through him who gives me strength (Philippians 4:11-13).

 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; 
If I make my bed in the depths, you are there. 
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
If I settle on the far side of the sea, 
Even there your hand will guide me, 
Your right hand will hold me fast (Psalm 139:8-10).

The bolts of your gates will be iron and bronze,

and your strength will equal your days (Deuteronomy 33:25).

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this stanza, which is sad, because it is an excellent one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either, Barbara...I found it when I looked for this hymn at hymntime.com, a wonderful resource.

      Delete
  2. Nor had I heard this stanza. Deuteronomy 33: 25 is going directly into my notebook of favorite scriptures. (Getting to be that age when I think of such things...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the less familiar stanzas at hymntime.com. I'm claiming Deuteronomy 33:25 also, Vee!

      Delete