Monday, August 13, 2012

A Little Disclaimer...

The post just below entitled "Heart Pain" is heavy.  Not cheerful.  I'm leaving it up because sometimes it is important to acknowledge the dark feelings we have as caregivers. I've had people tell me they feel such relief when I speak or write about the negative feelings that occur when caring for a loved one with dementia. "I thought it was just me" is a comment I've heard more than once. 

So I'll leave it and trust the Lord to guide those who need it to read those words--and pray that those who don't need it, won't!  

When grief comes, as it will when we are watching a loved one slip away, I think it is important not to set up camp there.  After all, our loved ones are still with us, just not in the way we wish they were. Focusing too much on what we've lost will blind us to what we have.  

We mustn't allow resentment to get the upper hand, as happens when we focus on grief of loss.  Resentment is a relative of a larger and more deadly ill, rebellion.  It's important  recognize resentment when it begins to send it's creepy little tendrils around our hearts.  Kick it on out of there.  

The antidote for resentment is thankfulness, and when we turn our eyes on Jesus it is easy to be thankful.  He doesn't abandon us.  He doesn't let us down. He's led us every step of the way for all of the years of our walk with Him. 

Scripture: "Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands" (Deuteronomy 8:2). 

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9). 

1 comment:

  1. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers..... watching our loved one slowly slip away is so hard..... but I always try and remind myself that God will never give me more than I can handle.....and I know you do the same...

    ReplyDelete