Thursday, July 4, 2013

What God Can Do

As Christians most of us become a little bit inured to Biblical truths that ought to cause our hearts to beat faster as our eyes widen in awe. 

"I can do all things through Christ, who strenghtens me (Philippians 4:13)"...knew that.

"When I am weak, then God's strength works through me (2 Corinthians 12:10)"...uh huh.

"God can do much more than we can even imagine (Ephesians 3:20)...yawn.

I'm afraid this is the state I found myself in when the Lord gave me a persistent nudge to seek a TV interview for my book.

I ignored Him. 

Then, when that push became more persistent and urgent, I bargained, "OK, Lord, if someone asks me to do a TV interview, I won't turn down the opportunity." 

I figured I was completely safe. 

Meantime, another one of those persistent nudges began to work on me..."Do a Youtube video series highlighting the information from your caregiving book.  Those who can't afford to buy a book or who might not be reached in any other way can thus benefit from the blessings the Lord has provided you and your mom." 

The technology and "how to" fell into my lap, and though recording and editing were time consuming, this didn't carry the fear factor for me that the thought of a live TV interview did.  And so I obeyed.  I learned as I went, and as I watched myself on camera was surprised at how many funny little mannerisms I possess that I didn't even know about.  I didn't know the Lord was preparing me to obey Him in a bigger-for-me way. 

When the call came it was from the public relations manager of a book store that had invited me to do a signing.  "Call the TV station and ask for Ralph Hipp," he said.  "He will get you on his 4 O'Clock show."  I hesitated and even as I shook my head vigorously from side to side in an emphatic "NO," I heard myself say, "Yes, I'll call the station." 

In the six week interim I fought down my fears with Scriptural promises that suddenly applied to actual situations in my life. The interview went well, and I learned about God's strength in a way similar to that described by a friend who, at age 60, parachuted from a small plane with the aide of an instructor.  "They give you the opportunity to pull the cord," she said, "But if you don't do it the instructor will." 

God never asks us to take a leap of faith without promising to make the jump with us.  Whatever challenges you are facing as a caregiver I can tell you with renewed certainty--"God is with you. He won't let you down.  He will enable you!" 



Giving up my fears entailed acceptance that I wasn't going to perform perfectly!  This week's Caregiver's Corner reveals how perfectionism can cripple us in our caregiving journey...find it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-itJZEfW31A



No comments:

Post a Comment