Friday, February 28, 2014

Hats


When I was teaching first grade, I decorated a spring bulletin board featuring construction paper hats flying through the air in a wild March wind.  With this in mind I  wrote the rhyme below for the March installment of the caregiving column I write for our small town's monthly newsletter.  I trust my fellow caregivers will catch the nuances of heartache and joy behind the frivolous words of this semi-autobiographical ditty.  (I know being able to rhyme is not at all the same thing as possessing an ability to write poems, but hope you have fun reading this anyway).  

 Hats

A daughter went to town one day
And chose a brand new hat
She took it to her mother
Who said, “We need to chat.”

“I’m getting on in years now,
My mind’s begun to flee
I think you’d better shed that gear
And act responsibly.”

The daughter loved her tasseled hat
It was a mortarboard
Her style! Her class! She truly thought
A change of hats untoward.

But Mother doffed old garments;
The apron and chef’s hat,
Exchanged them for a patient’s gown
And frivolous nightcap.

The daughter put her hat aside,
With drama, tears, and woe…
 “I sometimes overreact” she owned,
The mother said, “Just so.” 

“You were a child, and thought like one
Your childish days are past
It’s your turn now to be grownup.”
Her offspring was aghast.

The daughter struggled hard at first
But then as time went on
The burden eased and blessings came
Through battles fought and won.

We don’t choose the hats we wear
The Sovereign holds control
And if we balk beneath His hand
We do so to our woe.

Love is the one best constant
Holds firm through every test
Though hats and people fade and change
God’s love always knows best.
<><
"We are confident that God is able to orchestrate everything to work toward something good and beautiful when we love Him and accept His invitation to live according to His plan" (Romans 8:28 The Voice Translation).  

No comments:

Post a Comment