Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Keep Trying


The photo above shows my grandson, Logan, age 7.  Logan is a determined little guy.  On the day this photo was taken, he had decided to leap the ten foot span between two big bales of hay. 

He didn't make it.  He tried several times, and utilized different methods, but crashed just short of his goal each time.  Winded, he circled the bale pile and then said, "I've figured out I can't do it with these mud boots on.  I can't get traction.  I'll come back when I have my sneakers." 

I admire Logan.  He kept trying, ascertained he wasn't going to make it on this particular day, and developed a plan for renewed efforts another time.  I have no doubt that he will achieve his goal; that's the kind of guy he is. 

No matter where we find ourselves in a caregiving journey, discouragement is a pitfall, and there were certainly times during my 16 year long assignment of caring for my Alzheimer's mom that I wanted to quit trying.  The struggles haven't stopped for me even though Mom has gone home to Jesus; depression threatens and motivation to take tentative steps in a new direction is lacking, but I am trying.  Every morning I pray, "Just show me the next thing to do, Lord."  And He does.  Sometimes I don't want to do what He asks, and sometimes I'd rather not try, and fail, and have to try again. 

Praise God that His mercies are new every morning. Maybe I just need a new pair of sneakers! 

Lord please renew and strengthen us as we move forward on the path You've provided.  Grant us the will and courage to keep on trying! 

~~~

For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared...
Ephesians 6:15 NLT




1 comment:

  1. It’s very early yet...

    Wonderful capture of your grandson in mid-leap!

    ReplyDelete