Sunday, June 5, 2022

Not Me, but Him

 


The meme above features my favorite Matthew Henry quote, from his concise commentary on Psalm 121.  

 I am sorry to say my faith has often faltered beneath the threat of a frightening outcome. Most recently, I watched my mother die and then walked through the aftermath of loss, was told that my husband had cancer and endured 6 months of diagnostic tests culminating in surgery for him (he ended up with a benign report), and suffered an attack of ocular rosacea that has left me with diminished vision that I pray is temporary.  

Some times of life are just terribly uncomfortable.  These challenges and others have shown me that while I can't depend on myself or my own responses, or even on my faith, I can depend on the Lord.  

Most of the time, all I've done "right" is to cry out.  And even then, I've rarely prayed in a manner that would seem likely to gain a positive response from the Lord; I was often so bound with fear that I felt resentment over the bad thing that had happened even as I cried out for His help.  

Blessedly, my deliverance in each of these difficult circumstances did and does not depend upon me, but on Him.  

I praise His Name. 

<><


My heart is not proud, Lord, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me. But I have calmed and quieted myself, I am like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child I am content. Israel, put your hope in the Lord both now and forevermore.  

Psalm 131 NIV


No comments:

Post a Comment