Sunday, July 27, 2008

Though She May Forget...

I have just exchanged emails with a dear young woman who is struggling with the pain of losing her grandmother to Alzheimer's disease. She thanked me for sharing my caregiving experiences, and spoke of the fact that she was not certain that her grandmother recognized her any longer. I made the following response to her:

"I'm so sorry for your grief, my friend. The Scripture that comes to mind is Isaiah 49:15: "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!"

"God is very wise. For some of us, a sudden death of a loved one would impact the emotions and the mind too harshly. The trauma would be too much. I've come to understand that the long goodbye of Alzheimer's is giving me time to adjust to the loss of the supportive love my Mom gave me, time to transition to a deeper dependence on the One who will never forget me.

"God bless you in this journey."

And may the Lord bless each person who visits this site looking for balm for the heart that aches because someone they love can no longer remember. God will not forget you.

No comments:

Post a Comment