Saturday, October 6, 2018

Trust His Love


I found the poem, My Plans for Thee by Freda Hanbury Allen in a daily devotional I was reading 38 years ago, while I was suffering through a difficult pregnancy and struggling to hold to the hope of Jeremiah 29:11. I copied the poem onto a piece of notebook paper, taped it to our refrigerator, and read it every day until the words were mine by memory and our healthy baby girl was ushered safely into the world.  

God often asks us to trust when we can't see the path ahead. It seems a difficult assignment until we lift our eyes to His and remember how very much He loves us. The Creator of the universe, perfect in faithfulness, power, and love, cares for us!  It is safe to believe what He says and to entrust the future into His hands.  

Here is the poem in its entirety:  

My Plans for Thee

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
  - Jeremiah 29:11

        The love of God a perfect plan
        Is planning now for thee;
        It holds "a future and a hope,"
        Which yet thou canst not see.

        Though for a season, in the dark,
        He asks thy perfect trust,
        E'en that thou in surrender "lay
        Thy treasure in the dust,"

        Yet He is planning all the while;
        Unerringly He guides
        The life of him who holds His will
        More dear than all besides.

        Trust were not trust if thou could'st see
        The ending of the way;
        Nor could'st thou learn His songs by night,
        Were life one radiant day.

        Amid the shadows here He works
        The plan designed above:
        "A future and, a hope" for thee,
        In His exceeding love.

        "A future" - of abiding fruit,
        With loving kindness crowned;
        "A hope" - which shall thine own transcend,
        As Heaven the earth around.

        Though veiled as yet, one day thine eyes
        Shall see His plan unfold,
        And clouds that darkened once the path
        Shall shine with Heaven's gold.

        Enriched to all eternity
        The steadfast soul shall stand,
        That, "unoffended," trusted Him
        Who all life's pathway planned.

- Freda Hanbury Allen.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, this is beautiful Linda. I've never heard this before. I can see why it held so much meaning for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Abby. A whole poem based on one verse of Scripture...it always seems to me to illustrate how much rich meaning there is in every passage of God's Word.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Linda. It was a beautiful post/scripture/poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. Thank you for posting this poem, as it piqued my interest in reading some of the author's other poems. I love how she crafts her poetry around scriptural truths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindie! I'm certainly grateful for her work -- and for this poem in particular. She certainly knew her Bible--I've counted 7 Scripture references in this poem alone, and I have probably missed some. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete