Thursday, December 27, 2018

Comfort for Those Who Suffer Anxiety

I have found a C.S. Lewis quote that is important for those who struggle with self-condemnation because of ongoing struggles with anxiety:
"Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith. I don’t agree at all. They are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the Passion of Christ.”  Find this quote and its full references via Biblegateway's daily C.S. Lewis reading, HERE.  
This affirms the truce I've made with my middle-of-the-night fears that, by God’s grace, are converted into intercessions for loved ones and the transcribing of God’s guidance into words that can benefit others. Nowadays, when I awaken afraid, I treat the anxiety much as one would respond to a backache; Lord, here it is again, what shall I do about it?  I've learned to skip the why-do-I-have-to-be-like-this angst.  Anxiety isn't so much a sin  for me as it is a result of how I am knit together, and by His enabling grace, the Lord is glorified through this weakness of mine when I allow it to lead me to the foot of the Cross.

My son and daughter both have children of their own now, and they have each become acquainted with the heart-stopping alarm of seeing one's children suffer trials.  I would say to them:  Don’t be hard on yourselves when you suffer fear for yourselves or your loved ones.  Don’t try to ignore anxiety or seek escapism from it.  Let it cause you to run straight to the Lord.  This habit of taking every fear to Him will bring great blessing to you and to your loved ones as you allow the Lord to convert your fears into intercession for those you love.  

The Lord is unfailingly compassionate to those who are afraid. But if we won't admit to our fear, we won't confess it, and we won't allow the Lord to transform it into blessing.

***

Note:  I felt this was an important post for my adult son and daughter, and sent them an email that perhaps clarifies and summarizes the message I wanted to convey in this post:  

So, I have a word for you both from the Lord, and felt led to turn it into a blogpost, but I'm not sure I have accomplished my assignment!  In a nutshell--it isn't a sin or a weakness to be afraid. Fear is a potent motivator that will send us either to suppression (which can make us sick and angry) and escapism (which can make us addicted) or to the foot of the throne. We are not able to decide not to be afraid just because we know it isn't Godly to be afraid. Fear will send us one way or the other: to escapism, or to the Lord.  

Please read the post when you have time, and let your anxieties for your precious children take you straight to Jesus.  

4 comments:

  1. I just wanted to pop on here and tell you how much I appreciate you, Linda. Thank you for sharing what our loving Father has taught you. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate you taking time to comment. Thanks so much for the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. This resonated with me more than you'll ever know. I'm the POA and respite caregiver for Mom with cancer and dementia. I've waken up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and then stay awake rehashing and worrying if I'm handling Dad's estate correctly, and are we doing the best we can for mom. I'm printing this out to re-read often. I do turn to the Lord in prayer, but not before serving myself a heaping serving of guilt for being such a weak Believer. What you've written here has helped me to see this problem from a different angle. God bless you for writing these posts and books. I forward them to my sister (primary caregiver) often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless your kind heart for taking time to comment; I needed to review this post myself this morning and so you have blessed me as well. Thank you and I am praying for you right now.

      Delete