Friday, March 21, 2008

Here I Am

I’ve always found the words, “Here I am,” springing to my lips as soon as I come to the Lord in prayer each day. When we say, “Here I am, send me,” God puts us to work in the fields of His choice. For years I longed to be of “real” use to the Lord, but I have learned that the true spiritual life of discipline and growth takes place in the valleys of everyday life.

My ministries over the years have been teaching, parenting, and most recently caregiving. Many times I longed for an adrenalin rush of excitement and risk, for the emotional highs of proclaiming the Gospel to the lost, for the soaring compassion toward the heart rending pathos of the needy, and for the sense of being used for noble purposes in the Kingdom. I thrilled to a few mountaintop experiences in the Lord and longed to stay on the mountaintop. I was like a gymnast who loves competition but doesn’t understand that the daily drudge of preparation is 99% of the event. Without the preparation time in the valley, there can be no mountaintop. And though the thrill of exciting moments in the Lord is sweet, it is also very rare. Our spiritual and physical lives here on Earth consist mainly of valleys and of faith in things unseen. Walking through the valley while holding to the vision of usefulness we received on the mountaintop seems difficult and even impossible until we look at our Savior’s face. His eyes hold amusement, His arms enfold us in wonderful love; He says, “This is the way, walk in it,” and “Come unto Me.”

Apart from a daily refocusing upon the goodness of our Savior’s grace, upon the Father’s love and the Spirit’s guidance, it becomes a constant challenge to trust that the Lord has the big picture and that His love intends us good and not harm. Days, weeks, months, and years are just a drop in the eternal bucket of God’s wisdom and knowledge.

Father, let the compass of my heart point to You and You alone; not on service, not on ideas of how I may be of use in the Kingdom but upon Christ and Christ alone.

Scripture: Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" (Isaiah 6:8).

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I found your blog by googling "devotions for caregivers". My mema (who raised me..so she's really mom) was recently diagnosed with Alzheimers. She has gone down fast. Very fast! I am enjoying reading all of your blogs! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you found the blog and hope that the gracious help God has provided me can be used in your life too! My book, God, Mom, Alzheimer's and Me will be published by Bridge-Logos sometime in early 2009. It's the desire of my heart to help others make the transition to caregiver for loved ones with dementia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll will be looking for your book! God has truly gifted you in the area of writing! Thank you so much for your willingness to be so open...we truly must "share one another's burdens"...His mercy is new every morning! Erica (Tennessee)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your encouragement means a lot to me. It brought a tear to my eye--thank you so much. I want to tell you that my mother has benefited greatly from medication. If you have questions email me at lborn53@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete