Tuesday, May 4, 2010

If God is for Us...

Sometimes, life is beyond unfair.

Sometimes, we find ourselves in situations over which we have no control.

The realities of suffering behind adjectives such as "pain" or "oppression" or "grief" defy attempts to explain. These experiences must be felt in order to be understood, and no one can truly experience pain that belongs to someone else. A cry of suffering can be misinterpreted. Sometimes we are judged to be whiners and complainers when in truth, we are experiencing pain that could justifiably be labeled "excruciating."

It is difficult to admit helplessness. When a situation defies rational argument, there remains a terrible need to avoid defeat. Even though there is no point in beating one's head against a wall of stone in hopes of causing it to fall, how often I have done myself harm out of unwillingness admit that my circumstances are as immovable as rock.

This morning as I prayed over some of the stone walls in my life, I received a clear word from the Lord: "Do not initiate a sortie on ground you are not willing to defend." This was not the word I'd expected. Given my "fed up" state of mind, I had thought I would be reprimanded for not trusting God, or that I would be moved to review the many ways God has blessed me through circumstances I could not possibly have engineered for myself. Instead, I received simple instructions such as those a commander would issue to a soldier. Fall back! Trust God! Now is not the time to fight.

I have gained access to the forgiveness that is mine in Jesus Christ by accepting what He has freely given. Because of this, He is on my side when I cry out to Him. I may be disciplined, redirected, or told to give up when I would prefer to fight my way free. But God is on my side.

Many times in my life I have seen how powerfully He protects me and provides for me. I may not like my circumstances, but I trust my Lord.

Scripture: ...If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? (Romans 8:31-32)

2 comments:

  1. Linda,

    I look for your blogs often, but haven't seen you post much lately. It sounds like you are going through a rough time right now. Hope things turn around soon.

    Jenny K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jenny, keep looking for my posts--there will be a more encouraging and uplifting one soon. Thank you for your comments. I look forward to them. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete