Saturday, August 6, 2022

Have Thine Own Way, Lord. (But First I'm Going to Eat This Brownie)

 


I've noticed that it is when my day spirals out of my control that I tend to overeat. Well, a lot of things cause me to overeat but, losing control of my schedule is a dependable trigger for me. 

An unexpected assignment that makes me leave a project undone will end up with me hiding behind the open refrigerator door, grabbing whatever looks appealing, or at least edible, and stuffing it into my mouth. It's as though I'm saying, "I can't do what I want with my time today, but I will by golly eat what I want."  

The ability to switch gracefully from my plans to the Lord's is a skill I need to gain. I know this is difficult for every human being because we are all sinful and we all want to do what we want when we want, but it seems especially difficult for me.  I am linear in my thinking and as I get older this trait is more pronounced. I need to establish a plan and stick to it because if I'm removed from my scheduled activities too abruptly I tend to wander in unfruitful circles, unable to focus and concentrate. I am not great at multitasking; I become flustered and stressed when too much is going on at once. A sudden change of plans elicits the same response. 

Excuses, excuses.  

God knows me through and through. He knows the things that are difficult for me. He stands ready to help at every unexpected bump or twist in my daily path, the one that I would like to proceed in an orderly and predictable manner.   

Father, forgive me for clinging to my own way. Make me malleable in Your hands. Grant me energy, focus, and wisdom to follow Your plans and not my own, even when my day does not unfold as I thought it would. In Jesus' Name I pray, amen.  


No comments:

Post a Comment